Tutorial : The Grid
The Grid is a powerful sequencer adapted to live and show control situations. The grid can organize many kind of objects to activate/deactivate them automatically. See grid-panel.
Main zones of the grid:
- control bar where you find transport commands and informations about the current state of the grid.
- headers appear at the beginning of each line.
- sections are parts of your project, each section has its own duration.
- info zone where you can display various informations and comments about the current section.
- grid elements are objects that you put on the grid to activate or deactivate.
- play stop starts or stops the playing of the grid. Generally, this command is linked to the main engine ON/OFF and plays automatically (if the grid is not empty and autoplay-grid is activated in the settings).
- goto first section returns to the first section (section 0), restart the grid from the beginning.
- restart current section restarts the current section from the beginning.
- goto previous section returns immediately to the previous section.
- goto next section passes immediately to the next section.
- continue to next section when this switch is activated, it will pass to the next section at the end of the current section.
- de-zoom de-zoom all the grid to have a global view of all sections.
- lock locks the grid to prevent any modification.
- scroll enables or disables the scroll mode: the grid view will always follow the curent cursor position.
- elapsed time position of the cursor in the section, displayed in seconds.
- remain time time remaining until the end of the section, displayed in seconds.
- section name name of the current section.
The header appears at the beginning of the grid line. See grid-line-header.
- to resize [Click-Move] with the mouse on borders.
- to collapse (reduce) or expand it use [Dbl-Click].
- to rename use [Alt+Click].
- to delete the entire line, put the header into the trash-bin.
- to add a new line click on the header and in the contextual-menu click on add-new-line.
- name of the section, to rename press [Alt-Click].
- duration of the section, to change [Right-Click] and set the duration + format in its settings.
- tempo of the section. By default the section follows the master-synchro tempo. But it can be set independently, [Right-Click] and set-tempo.
- loop status determines if the section is played in loop, just once or is paused at the end. To change the status, [Click] on the icon.
the section is played in loop until the control-bar goto-next-section is triggered or control-bar continue-to-next-section is activated.
the section is played one or several times and goes directly to the next section. To set the number of times the section is repeated, [Right-Click] and set the repeat field to the proper value.
the section is paused at the end.
- to zoom the entire section [Dbl-Click], to go back to the global view [Dbl-Click] again.
- to resize left [Click-Move] with the mouse on borders. . The resize is only visual and doesn't affect the real duration of the section.
- to add a new section click on the section and in the contextual-menu click on add-new-section.
- name : display the complete name of the element included the parent patch or rack.
- type indicator is an icon which displays the type of object associated to the grid element.
- fade grip changes the fade-in and fade-out duration of the object. You can also change the fades settings with a [Right-Click] and in the settings set the fades durations and curves types.
- change the start and end position of the element.
- change the height of the element.
You can drop audio files directly on the grid. It will create automatically a rack with, as input, the header of the grid line. So the audio will go thru the new rack.
You can get the audio file sound into any rack by a simple [Drag&Drop] of the line-header onto the its rack-input.
The audio elements can have a volume curve.
- to set the volume curve click on the element and in the contextual-menu click on volume to display the curve.
What kind of objects we can put in the grid?
More about the Grid