BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

Please extend the library of patches

Tell us what you'd like Usine to do
ales_tsurko

Please extend the library of patches

Post by ales_tsurko » 07 Nov 2021, 12:35

Hi!

I like Usine. It's very powerful and covers any abstraction level of audio production. But I was disappointed by the library of patches. For the modules it's ok, you can write whatever you wish. But on a higher level of abstraction, there's only one usual synth, which you can use for music production without samples (Poly Mini Mogg). There isn't a drum synth, for example. Or more different kinds of synth (check the Reaktor, for example). In other words, without patching, you're very restricted writing music in HH without using 3d-party plugins.

Thanks,
Ales

rlgsbt

Post by rlgsbt » 07 Nov 2021, 14:29

hi Ales,
you can use any plugin you need in Usine...

ales_tsurko

Post by ales_tsurko » 07 Nov 2021, 15:12

Yeah, I know it. At this view, I can use any free host with plugins as well.

SylvainT
Site Admin

Post by SylvainT » 09 Nov 2021, 09:48

Hi,

I'll try to give you an answer.
Your suggestion is relevant and it is not.
For sure, the patches ibrary could be extended, but is it the goal of Usine ? Not sure.
BrainModular is a small company, nothing comparing to Native Instruments or Abelton which have many developpers and designers. The goal of BrainModular is to provide this powerful tool, Usine, completely open and versatile, very robuste and with this unmatched audio engine.
BrainModular provides a patches library to go quick if you need classical fx like delay or filtering. It also provides more complex patches like the Poly Mini Mogg, but more as examples for users about what it is possible to do with Usine.
Providing more stuffs has been discussed many times internaly. It is impossible to be exhaustiv and it is such a wide work, programming synths, maintaining them over Usine updates and improvements.
For sure, you can have a look on the add-ons library, with many other tools provide by BrainModular and users.
You can also ask on the forum for more shares with users.
And at the end, there's so many third party companies which provide many good VST and VSTi.

All the best

Sylvain

ales_tsurko

Post by ales_tsurko » 14 Nov 2021, 12:12

It's very disappointing. When I bought this app, I was expecting it'll be a ready to use DAW with patching possibilities instead of a build-everything-from-scratch-DAW. If not from the box, I was expecting a more versatile library, at least from the community (as Reaktor has). For almost the same amount of money I'd rather buy Native Reaktor with tons of ready to use patches and a bigger library of modules and used some free host instead (or something like Reaper, which doesn't cost too much), having the same possibilities (regarding the audio).

Ariajazz

Post by Ariajazz » 09 Dec 2021, 13:05

USINE is a UNIQUE piece of software, there is nothing like this in the market. With Usine you can build and customize your "music machine" as you wish. There are literally thousands of plugins out there you can use inside Usine as a host.

ales_tsurko

Post by ales_tsurko » 10 Feb 2022, 11:06

Ariajazz wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 13:05
USINE is a UNIQUE piece of software, there is nothing like this in the market. With Usine you can build and customize your "music machine" as you wish. There are literally thousands of plugins out there you can use inside Usine as a host.
Native Instruments Reaktor, Cycling'74 Max, Pure Data, SuperCollider, Csound - just a few... And again, there are a lot more feature-full hosts. What's the point in using Usine in this case? It's bad as a host, there are alternative modular software and it has a poor library. Max has tons of patches and you can use abstraction to get the same result as with tracks/patches in Usine. It's not unique it has alternative. But it could be a very good alternative to the software I mentioned above if it at least had a rich library (if we don't take into account its instability).

BTW bought it 3 months ago and still never used it in production - this is how unique and usable this software.

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 10 Feb 2022, 17:15

For me Usine excels at live performance with excellent touch screen interface, etc.
The SDK can be used to program amazing stuff in C++.
And I don't use for video and lights but don't forget that side of things.

Regarding built-in patches, some other products include what are essentially free VSTs,
even if they are packaged as integrated sounds. Some are pretty good quality, but often
not ultimate, and often people move onto licensed VSTs anyway.
I would certainly welcome some more included effects modules, and there are now more
in HH5.

Regarding your view of Usine being a "poor host" and having "instability", please explain because those
things need to be sorted out if they are real issues.

Simon.