BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

input list box options

Tell us what you'd like Usine to do
sm_jamieson

input list box options

Post by sm_jamieson » 11 Feb 2022, 00:07

If a module has an input listbox parameter and you drag a wire from the input
and select a listbox module, the listbox is created with the current list items, which is great.

If the listbox parameter is updated in any way however, the input listbox is not updated with the new options.
You would not want this to happen by default, however it would be very useful for this to be possible.

Currently it is only possible if you delete the module and pull a new wire etc.
If you select the module and choose the "recreate module" from the menu, the options are to
keep the same parameters (nothing changes) or to not keep them (returns to empty default of A B C D).

My request is

1. On recreate module menu option, if the module is a listbox (or combobox / listbox buttons etc.) there should be a
third option to update the options from the listbox pin (as if a new wire was pulled).

2. A listbox setting that will cause it to be updated with new options any time new options are added in to the parameter
(e.g. using SDK, or if preset manager items are added or names changed in the list).

3. If (2) is not practical, a listbox trigger pin that will cause this to happen, so it can be made to happen by patching
as well as by using "recreate module" option of (1).

4. Another idea - a special type of wire/module that can "pull" the parameter settings out of any pin, including an input pin.
This could be extremely useful. For a listbox pin, this would enable the extraction of the options (as comma text I suppose).
Alternatively I don't know if Usine Objects or the SDK could have the ability to extract parameter settings from another module/pin.

Thanks,
Simon.

SylvainT
Site Admin

Post by SylvainT » 11 Feb 2022, 10:13

Hello,

Yes, surely something interesting there. CommaText would be simple, but maybe to much outlets.

Sylvain

senso
Site Admin

Post by senso » 11 Feb 2022, 12:25

it's a old discussion.
As you know, wires are always calculated in a single way: from out to in.
Moreover a module (ie list box) is not conscious to be connected to another. And in the general case things can be be more complex, for example you insert a [+1 modules] in between.
You can also imagine that the listbox has been edited like
  • bar=1
    16th=6
so no way to update...

Generally when an option is added to a listbox it's at the end of the list to ensure the best compatibility.

We could imagine that at loading time we test the connected listboxes to verify that the lists are similar and eventually update them. This will seriously increase the loading time if we must test all the cases above.

So finally, I think that I prefer let the user make its own stuff.

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 11 Feb 2022, 12:50

Ah I understand, the list box does not know what it is connected to, but when you drag a wire at that point
it knows using the TEMPLATE/IML so it can use the options at that point.
Thanks for investigating.

Simon.