Welcome to %s forums

BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

CLAP support

Tell us what you'd like Usine to do
x.iso

CLAP support

Post by x.iso » 04 Jun 2022, 16:27

Currently there's new plugin ABI in the works that's already in finalizing stages, called CLAP (acronym for Clever Audio Plugin). Main goal is providing better alternative in terms of licensing and documentation, as well as implementation of the features.

Licensing is free and it's multi-platform.

https://github.com/free-audio/clap

of course, it's still not at version 1.0, but I think it's worth at least giving it a look, how easy is it to include?
join Hollyhock Usine Discord server: https://discord.gg/EdJarnE

Vas

Post by Vas » 13 Jun 2022, 07:38

Windows 10-64bit, i9, 32GB RAM, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, FL Studio 20, Komplete 11,

woodslanding

Post by woodslanding » 17 Jun 2022, 09:22

It would be really nice if it took off, and plug-in support could be open source.

That said, until the big players buy in, it's not so useful....
Custom Ryzen 5900x MATX build, Win10, Fireface UFX, touchscreen
Custom 2 manual midi keyboard
Usine, Kontakt, Reaktor, Synthmaster, Byome, Arturia, Soundtoys, Unify

x.iso

Post by x.iso » 18 Jun 2022, 17:07

woodslanding wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 09:22
It would be really nice if it took off, and plug-in support could be open source.

That said, until the big players buy in, it's not so useful....
it's useful because it seems to take hell of a lot less time to release plugin for CLAP than port to another API. I've seen developers being able to do it in 1 day, even if they don't use any framework, and it's all custom stuff (which would usually be a huge thing to deal with transitioning from VST2 to VST3 for example). and since specification is not ambiguous, there will be way less support issues for CLAP version of the plugin. and same goes for DAWs, so there's a lot to be gained from adding it for DAW developer.

already Reaper, FL Studio, Studio One and even ProTools working on it. Bitwig got it working in current beta (no surprises here, they pretty much started this with U-he), and some less known hosts got it in beta as well. even more plugin developers are getting on board too. it is a way forward from here on, unlike VST3 came out to be.

krawumski

Post by krawumski » 15 Jul 2022, 17:14

+1
Definitely time for a clean, well designed, up-to-date, and open plugin interface.

woodslanding

Post by woodslanding » 26 Jul 2022, 23:21

I'm seeing pretty good uptake on this, so maybe there's something to it. Fingers crossed!

Vas

Post by Vas » 06 Aug 2022, 23:18

Ok HH will always be just a stand-alone.
I am resigned to the fact that HH will never be a VST plugin.
But will HH ever be a CLAP plugin?
Is this a possibility?

Having HH as a plugin is no longer an important feature to me as I have moved on.
But there a small chance I will return if HH becomes a CLAP plugin.
I post there as I believe that many new musicians will attracted to it if it will be available as a plugin.
Windows 10-64bit, i9, 32GB RAM, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, FL Studio 20, Komplete 11,

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 08 Aug 2022, 21:18

I think the best for Usine would be a VST bridge that communicates with a separately running instance of Usine.
I'm sure this was talked about before.

x.iso

Post by x.iso » 08 Sep 2022, 20:32

sm_jamieson wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 21:18
I think the best for Usine would be a VST bridge that communicates with a separately running instance of Usine.
I'm sure this was talked about before.
VST Bridge was in development, but it had some showstopper bugs in regards to midi messages exchange. My hunch is that because VST in general was never intended to work with MIDI messages in straightforward way or to be used to generate MIDI events, there are hurdles in setting up MIDI exchange pipeline via VST. it needs to work both ways too.

On the other hand with CLAP it should work straightforward, so if it's gonna be much easier to implement, it would be good start to have CLAP version. Then there was actually API wrapper in development that allows running CLAP inside a VST, from what I understand.

woodslanding

Post by woodslanding » 29 Nov 2022, 08:08

Well, just had my first installer ask where to put the clap file. That's 1 out of 850 or so ;)